Welcome Performances for Families at the Royal Opera House
You are invited to a full Family Day Out with fun workshops, activities and the unforgettable experience of live opera music. Give your family a first-class experience for the price of a cinema ticket! This isn’t just about coming to see an opera with your kids. We’ll have some of our most experienced creative staff on hand to show you what they do.
People having fun
It’s a day in 2 parts. On this day specially designed for families, you can…
1. Drop in from 11am and;
- Dress up in fabulous costumes from our operas and ballets
- Try your hand at designing a stage set with Royal Opera House designers
- Find out the secrets of backstage in our amazing building (*limited backstage tour tickets, first-come-first-served on-line only. There will be no tour tickets available on the day.)
- Enjoy lots of live music and the chance to ‘Have a go’ with instruments
- Meet the people who make our Costumes, Wigs Hats and Jewellery as well as Make-up.
“My kids had quite a negative view towards opera but the experience has changed their perception. I do hope we are given further opportunities under the family scheme so that grandma can join us next time and my 9 year old son!”
And that’s not all…
2. After the workshops and activities you can round off your family day together with a performance of:
L’ELISIR D’AMORE (The Love Potion)
Welcome Performance for Families on 22 November 2014 at 3pm
Donizetti’s fun filled, light-hearted tale of how love can overcome all obstacles, helped by a little “love potion”. It’s among the most popular operas performed and a wonderful way to introduce young people to opera.
- Tickets for £5, £10, £15 and £20 (saving up to £140 over top price seats!)
- Suitable for ages 7+
- A morning of fun, free activities from 11am
- Performance begins at 3pm, running time around 2hrs 45mins with one interval of around 30mins
Nemorino, a naïve village boy, has fallen for Adina, a farm owner. She rejects his declarations of love. Fortunately, Doctor Dulcamara is on hand with a ‘love potion’ to help him win her heart.
Adina seems to remain immune to Dulcamara’s potion (nothing more magical than red wine she thinks) and so agrees to marry the boastful Sergeant Belcore. But she finally realizes she cares for Nemorino and admits her love. All rejoice – Dulcamara most of all, as he celebrates the proven power of his potion!
More than just an opera!
Do Remember! The free morning of fun, free activities outlined above start from 11am and are all included in your performance ticket, so that’s a truly fantastic day out for the family for just £5 – £20 per attender
“This was a fantastic opportunity for my children and I to experience opera and at a such a wonderful venue.”
“Without the family scheme, financially it would not have been possible. The children were very impressed with the performance and the activities beforehand.”
How to register for tickets
Welcome Performances are for people who have never been here before. If you want to come, it’s really easy to register you details on our website. Once you’ve registered, we just need to check that you’re eligible (by checking to see whether you’ve been before), and all being well, you’ll get an email from us within a couple of weeks to tell you how to book tickets on-line.
Register at www.roh.org.uk/welcomeperformances
Not online? You can also call the ROH Box Office on +44 (0) 207 304 4000.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Opera House in November!
Audience Engagement Manager
To register; www.roh.org.uk/welcomeperformances
For enquiries; email@example.com